Bacon & Cheese Surprise: Treat Yourself To Luxury Comfort Food
We all know it's what's inside that counts. But with this tasty treat that's not the whole story, because it comes with an enticing bacon topping as well. Having said that, the baked pastry ring still has something special within — both inside the pastry and inside the circle.
- 1 camembert
- 1 circular sheet of puff pastry
- egg yolk
- 1 cooked potato
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp parsley, freshly chopped
- ca. 12 slices of bacon
- First place the camembert on small board and cut out the middle, leaving a ring of cheese a little more than half an inch thick. Cut the middle section into small pieces and lay them to one side.
- Place the puff pastry on a baking tray lined with baking parchment. Then put the cheese ring in the center and fold the pastry in over the cheese all the way round the ring.
- Brush the ring generously with egg yolk.
- For the filling, cut the cooked potato in slices and lay them as the first layer inside the cheese and pastry ring. Then add the camembert pieces from earlier, followed by the onion and the parsley.
- For the next step, cover a large plate with a sheet of clear plastic wrap. Drape the bacon on this in the form of a lattice. You begin as follows: place one slice upright on the lefthand side and another horizontally along the upper edge of the plate, so that it overlaps the top of the first slice. Then lay four more horizontal strips of bacon under the first. Roll up the second and fourth strips from the top so that they are now on the left edge of the plate. Now lay a second vertical strip of bacon next to the first, and unroll the second and fourth horizontal strips over it. Fold the first, third and fifth horizontal strips of bacon to the left and place a third vertical strip to the right of the first two. Then fold the the first, third and fifth horizontal strips of bacon back over the vertical strip and keep going with this method until you have finished the weave.
- This will leave you with a roughly square-shaped bacon mesh. Cut the bacon and the plastic wrap along the edge of the plate so that it creates a circular bacon weave. Refrigerate it for 30 minutes.
- Finally, place the lattice — with the wrap facing upwards — centrally over the filled cheese ring. Pull the plastic off and and press the bacon in place around the edges and press down lightly on top. Now bake your masterpiece in a convection oven for 15 minutes at 360°F.
Everyone who wasn't around for the preparation won't believe their eyes when you cut into the ring. This dream dish made of bacon, cheese, potato and puff pastry ticks pretty much every box when it comes to comfort food. It's just the thing to silence any grumbling bellies, so don't hold back!