Bacon-Wrapped, Cauliflower-Stuffed Meatballs In A Creamy Cauliflower Cheese Sauce
Cauliflower is a total superstar when it comes to all the popular diets currently on everyone's radar, including keto, paleo, and Whole30, as well as anyone trying to eat more low-carb and low-fat meals. And that's because cauliflower is not only delicious and versatile, but it also makes the perfect substitute for starchy ingredients like rice, bread, and potatoes. Throw that together with bacon, meatballs, and a creamy cheese sauce, and you've got yourself quite the dish!
You'll Need (for 7):
For the bacon cauliflower meatballs:
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 28 oz ground beef
- 7 slices of bacon
- 2 eggs
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp spicy brown mustard
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
For the cauliflower cheese sauce:
- 14 fl oz milk
- 8 oz Swiss cheese, shredded
- salt, pepper & nutmeg to taste
1. Cook the head of cauliflower in a covered pot of salted boiling water for about 5 minutes.
2. Remove the cauliflower stem and cut off the florets. Set the stem aside for now.
3. Add the onion, paprika, garlic, oregano, mustard, salt, pepper, and eggs to the ground beef and mix well.
4. Take about 2 tbsp of the ground beef mixture, flatten it out in your hand, place a cauliflower floret in the middle, seal the meat around it, and form a meatball. Repeat this 6 more times with the other cauliflower florets.
5. Wrap a slice of bacon around each cauliflower meatball. Heat a pan with a little bit of oil over medium heat and cook the meatballs on all sides.
6. Chop the cauliflower stem you set aside earlier and add it to a bowl with shredded Swiss cheese and milk. Season everything with salt, pepper, and nutmeg and purée the mixture until smooth.
7. Pour the cauliflower cheese sauce over the meatballs in the pan and let simmer for about 5 minutes. Garnish with fresh parsley before serving.
Thanks to all the protein and lack of carbs, this dish is just light and filling enough, and something you can easily prepare on a busy night after work.
You can find the recipe for the Cauliflower Roulade With Goat Cheese & Beef Strips featured in the bonus video here.