Bacon-Wrapped Armadillo Eggs
You've probably heard of Scotch eggs, but have you ever heard of armadillo eggs? If not, you're in for a real treat! While similar to Scotch eggs, armadillo eggs add an extra special layer with a stuffed pepper. We've taken a few liberties and stuffed the peppers with cheese and eggs, wrapped them in ground beef, and then wrapped them again in bacon. Prepare to have your mind blown with 5 layers of explosive flavor!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
For the stuffed peppers:
- 6 mini sweet peppers
- 6 cheese cubes
- 3 whisked eggs + salt & pepper to taste
For the ground beef mixture:
- 1 lb ground beef
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 crustless slices of white bread
- 2 eggs
- wooden skewer, soaked in water
- 12 slices of bacon
- 6 popsicle sticks
1. Preheat the oven to 300°F. Cut off the tops of the mini sweet peppers and hollow out the insides.
2. Place a cheese cube in each sweet pepper and skewer the stuffed peppers on a wooden stick long enough to hang in the oven.
3. Whisk the eggs, season with salt and pepper, and pour the mixture into the stuffed peppers.
4. Hang the wooden skewer with the stuffed peppers in the oven and cook at 300°F for 20 minutes.
5. Season the ground beef with salt, pepper, and paprika. Tear the crustless slices of bread into small pieces, add them to the ground beef together with the eggs, and mix well. Divide the ground beef mixture into 6 even portions.
6. Remove the cooled stuffed peppers from the wooden skewer and wrap a portion of the ground beef mixture around each stuffed pepper.
7. Wrap 2 bacon slices crosswise around each stuffed meatball.
8. Place the bacon-wrapped meatballs in a muffin pan and stick a popsicle stick in the center of each one.
9. Increase the oven temperature to 350°F, transfer the muffin pan to the oven, and cook for 20 minutes until the bacon meatballs are nice and crispy.
5 delicious layers, 2 types of meat, a crisp, fluffy, cheesy center, and all on a convenient stick so you can keep your hands clean – talk about the perfect appetizer!
Get the recipe for the Lasagna Sticks featured in the bonus video.