Puff Pastry Apple Pie With Vanilla Pudding: A Treat For Your Sweet
Thanks to the use of puff pastry and instant pudding, making this delicious apple pie is as easy as... well, pie. This sweet dessert is the perfect way to show someone just how much you care, and the best part is, they won't even know effortless it is to make.
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 8½ fl oz milk
- 1½ tbsp sugar
- ½ package vanilla instant pudding mix
- 3½ oz crème fraîche
- 2 red apples
- 1 egg
- brown sugar
- 3 tbsp hot apricot jam
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Cut six 1-inch wide strips of dough from the sheet of puff pastry (best to cut one from the top, one from the bottom, and four from the side). Place a large pie plate on the uncut area of dough, trace a circle around it with a pizza cutter, and then place the round piece of dough in the pie plate.
2. Heat the milk in a saucepan, add the pudding powder and sugar. and stir everything together with a whisk. Remove the pot from the stove and let the pudding cool down before folding in the crème fraîche. Spread the pudding cream over the puff pastry in the pie pan and use a spoon to smooth it out.
3. Halve 2 apples, remove the cores, and cut even slices. Place the apple slices in the pudding cream as seen in the video, starting at the outer edge, slightly overlapping, and working your way in.
4. Take the 6 strips of dough from the beginning and lay them in between the apple ring layers until the design is complete. Take the last dough strip, roll it up, and place it directly in the center of the pie dish.
5. Coat the puff pastry with an egg wash and sprinkle brown sugar over the top. Bake the pie for 35 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Brush apricot jam over the pie while it is still warm.
Doesn't the pie look so pretty with a puff pastry rose in the center? Perfect for the weekend coffee table! Be sure and test the recipe out with different fruits depending on the season.
You can find the recipe for the Apple Cinnamon Pie with Blueberry Crust featured in the bonus video here.