Apple Caramel Butter Rolls With A Graham Cracker Topping
Cinnamon rolls are sweet breakfast treats that always go over well. Their rich, buttery cinnamon sugar filling mixed with light vanilla icing on top definitely makes for a great combination, but we think we can do even better! We're pairing the classic cinnamon bun format with an even better filling – think crisp apple cinnamon flavors swirled with creamy caramel butter. All of this deliciousness is baked on a bed of crushed graham crackers to make the perfect crunchy topping for an already amazing breakfast roll!
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1½ hours
Difficulty Level: Moderate
For the dough:
- 4 cups flour
- ⅓ cup semolina flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- ½ tsp dry yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1¼ cups lukewarm water
For the apple filling:
- 2 red apples, chopped
- 2 tbsp applesauce
- 1 tbsp bread crumbs
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- ½ vanilla bean
For the caramel butter filling:
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 2 tbsp caramel syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup chopped Brazil nuts
For the topping:
- 1½ packages of graham crackers, crushed
1. For the dough, stir all of the ingredients together in a large bowl. Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and let the dough rise for 90 minutes. While the dough is rising, mix the softened butter, caramel syrup, cinnamon, and Brazil nuts together for the caramel butter filling. Lay a piece of parchment paper on your work surface and spoon the caramel butter mixture on top. Cover the caramel butter filling with a second piece of parchment paper and use a rolling pin to roll it out evenly. Transfer the caramel butter sheet to the refrigerator and chill for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F. For the apple filling, core and chop the apples, then scrape the vanilla bean caviar out of ½ of a vanilla bean pod. Mix the apples and vanilla with the applesauce, bread crumbs, and sliced almonds.
3. Halve the dough and roll out both sections so that they are equally sized. Remove the caramel butter sheet from the refrigerator, place it on top of one of the pieces of the rolled-out dough, then place the second piece of dough on top.
4. Spoon the apple filling onto the layered dough, leaving one of the longer edges uncovered.
5. Tightly roll everything up, cut off the uneven end pieces, and cut the log into 5 even pieces.
6. Crush the graham crackers and spread them evenly over the bottom of a casserole dish.
7. Place the apple caramel butter rolls on top of the graham cracker crumbs in the casserole dish, transfer the casserole dish to the oven, and bake at 350°F for 25 minutes.
Proceed with caution, because these apple caramel butter rolls are absolutely addictive. Soft, moist, gooey, and topped off with the perfect amount of crunch, these breakfast sweets are destined for your mouth! How do you like them apples?!
Get the recipe for the Giant Cinnamon Roll featured in the bonus video.