Stuffed Wool Roll Bread 3 Ways
Don't miss out on this awesome new baking trend! Wool roll bread is an amazing new way to serve homemade bread stuffed with a whole range of fillings. This delicious dish gets its name from its unique look, which is easier to create than you might thing! We've come up with 3 delicious recipes for this yummy treat, featuring gorgonzola & pear, mozzarella & sun-dried tomato, and almond & poppy seed fillings. This fun new food trend is all about a special folding and cutting technique, which transforms an easy yeast dough into a freshly baked treat that looks like a ball of wool once it's finished. They make the perfect shareable treat for any occasion!
Yield: 1 per recipe
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Inactive Time: 90 minutes
Difficulty Level: Moderate
For the yeast dough:
- ⅓ cup milk, lukewarm
- 1 tsp dry yeast
- 3⅓ cups flour
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- milk for the wash
For the gorgonzola & pear filling:
- 4 oz gorgonzola cheese
- 1 pear, chopped
- ⅓ cup chopped pecans
- strawberry jam to serve
For the mozzarella & sun-dried tomato filling:
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- ⅓ cup sliced black olives
- pesto to serve
For the almond & poppy seed filling:
- 1 cup crushed poppy seeds
- ⅓ cup marzipan or almond paste
⅓ cup golden raisins
- vanilla yogurt to serve
- 9-inch springform pan
- dough scraper
- basting brush
1. For the yeast dough, stir together the yeast and lukewarm milk, then let the mixture rest for 10 minutes. While the yeast mixture is resting, stir together the flour, sea salt, sugar, egg, and heavy cream until combined, then add in the yeast mixture. Knead the dough with a hand mixer with a dough hook until a smooth dough forms.
2. Cover the dough with plastic wrap or a clean kitchen towel and let it rise in a warm place for 1 hour. Once it has risen, remove the dough from the mixing bowl and divide it into 5 equal segments. Roll out each piece into an ovular shape about 8 inches long and 4 inches tall.
3. Use a dough scraper to make thinly spaced cuts parallel to one another on the upper section of each rolled-out piece of dough.
4. For the gorgonzola & pear filling, place the the gorgonzola cheese, chopped pear, and copped pecans in the uncut portion of the dough and roll everything up into a snug log. Repeat this process for the remainder of the dough.
5. For the sun-dried tomato & mozzarella filling, place the mozzarella, chopped sun-dried tomatoes, and sliced black olives in the uncut portion of the dough and roll everything up into a snug log. Repeat this process with the remainder of the dough.
6. For the almond & poppy seed filling, spread the crushed poppy seeds, rolled up segments of marzipan or almond paste, and golden raisins in the uncut portion of the dough and roll everything up into a snug log. Repeat this process for the remainder of the dough.
7. Grease a 9-inch springform pan and place the stuffed logs of dough around the edge.
8. Preheat the oven to 350°F, cover the springform pan, and let the dough rise in a warm place for 30 minutes. Brush milk over the surface of the stuffed wool roll bread, then transfer the springform pan to the oven and bake the stuffed wool roll bread at 350°F for 20 minutes, until golden brown. Serve each type of wool roll bread with a dipping sauce in the center: strawberry jam with the gorgonzola & pear bread, pesto with the sun-dried tomato & mozzarella bread, and vanilla yogurt with the almond & poppy seed bread.
Wool roll bread is so fluffy & delicious that you'll never want to go back to other types of bread. Feel free to switch up the fillings to fit your taste preferences and experiment with different kinds of sauces!
Get the recipe for the Stuffed Brunch Bundt Cake Rings featured in the bonus video.