Outside the (cake) box: Hearty Zucchini and Rice Ring
Zucchinis are all about adopting other identities these days. Zucchini noodles, or zoodles, are almost threatening to drive the humble spaghetti into extinction. They're versatile, they're healthy, and with the right sauce, you'll never know you're eating carb free.
But could zucchini also pose a threat to... the cake??? Let's find out!
You will need:
- 14 oz zucchini slices
- 3.5 oz diced zucchini
- 2 cups cooked rice
- salt and pepper
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- ½ cup mozzarella cubes
- 5 oz ham, cut into squares
- Brown the zucchini slices in a grill pan on both sides.
- Season the cooked rice with salt and pepper and mix in the eggs and parmesan.
- Line the bottom and sides of a bundt-bottom springform pan with the grilled zucchini slices so that they overlap and form a seamless hull for the other ingredients. Leave an inch or two of the slice hanging over the edge of the pan.
- Add half the rice to the pan and press an indention in the center, then fill with diced zucchini, mozzarella, and ham. Cover with the other half of the rice and press firmly into the form, then cover the edges with the overlapping zucchini slices.
- Bake at 350 °F for 25 minutes. Remove carefully from the cake pan and serve warm.
Once you've tasted the results, we're convinced you'll never eat any other kind of cake again. Right? Riiiiiiiight? ;-)