A really easy recipe for making macarons that look like watermelons
You've probably already seen them colorfully lined up somewhere in a store window or at the market: delicately prepared macarons — a French creation made from an almond meringue mix. But what isn't obvious from looking at these little delicacies is that you don't need much to make them yourself. However, we do recommend a little patience, care and — in this case — a steady hand.
You'll need (for 10 portions):
For the meringues:
- 2 eggs
- 4 tsp sugar
- pink and green food coloring
- 3 oz ground almonds
- 5 oz icing sugar
- black sesame seeds
For the filling:
- 3.5 fl oz cream
- 7 oz grated white chocolate
- Separate the yolk and the white of one egg, as shown in the video. Beat the egg white with an electronic whisk until it is very stiff, adding two teaspoons of sugar as you go. Color the egg white and sugar foam with some pink food coloring until it takes on a strong pink shade. Then sieve half the almonds and half the icing sugar into the mixture to avoid clumps in the dough. Use a spatula to carefully transfer the mixture into a piping bag.
- Use the remaining ingredients to make a second dough, but make sure to color this one green.
- Squeeze out 10 bite-sized portions of both dough mixes onto a baking tray. The blobs of dough should be a little way apart from each other. Using some tweezers, place six sesame seeds in a circle on each of the pink portions. As soon as you are done, leave the unbaked macarons to dry a little for 10 to 20 minutes.
- Next, bake the macarons for 12 to 15 minutes in a pre-heated oven at 300°F. After baking, let the macarons cool completely.
- In the meantime, heat the cream in a water bath; add the chocolate and stir it in until it melts completely. You could also wait a few minutes to let it melt before you stir.
- Once it has cooled down, spread the chocolate cream on the green halves of the macarons and then place the pink halves carefully on top.
No matter the occasion you decide to make these Watermelon Macarons for, your plan is bound to succeed. No one can resist the look and the taste of these sweet and creamy treats — and why should they? Just take some time to appreciate your handiwork before gobbling them down in one go!