Liven up the party with totopos con picadillo!
There are four things that make every movie night perfect: tasty snacks, cold drinks, great friends and of course, the right movie. If you've run out of snack ideas, then it's time to let this recipe help! Instead of buying the same old dips, why not try whipping up your own? With flavor this fabulous, your friends will certainly be impressed! Caution: tastebud explosion may deflect attention away from the film!
You will need:
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 pinch ground cumin
- 1 pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch of paprika
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1 and 1/2 cups kidney beans
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 3/4 cup gouda cheese, grated
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 tsp. sour cream
- scallions, chopped
- 1 flour tortilla
- Cut your flour tortilla into triangles and bake at 390°F for 5 minutes.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a pan and sauté the ground beef.
- Add all of the spices including the garlic and onions to the beef and mix well.
- Now add the kidney beans and tomatoes.
- Cover the pan and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Place the baked flour tortilla chips over the ground beef, followed by the grated cheese. Cover the pan for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Finally, garnish with chopped scallions, avocado, and sour cream.
It's best to just place the pan in the middle of the table so that it stays warm and wonderfully melty! And hey, even if your movie choice was not the best, this dip is sure to save the evening. Enjoy!