Swedish meatball bake with pasta and cheese
There is a light crispness in the air, and the leaves are beginning to fade into shades of yellow, orange, and red: autumn is upon us. This new season not only brings beautiful colors, but often busier schedules. Here's an idea for a filling, easy-to-prepare meal that the whole family will enjoy!
You will need:
For the meatballs:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp. breadcrumbs
- 1 oz chopped onion
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
For the sauce:
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1 and 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup cream
- 9 oz cooked pasta
- 3.5 oz grated cheese
- Place the ground beef, egg, breadcrumbs, onion, nutmeg, and a bit of salt and pepper into a bowl and mix well.
- Form the beef into medium-sized balls. Heat olive oil in a pan and brown the meatballs evenly.
- To begin making the sauce, remove the meatballs from the pan and add the butter. Now add the flour, which ensures thickness, and mix with the butter. Pour in the beef broth, followed by the cream and stir. Take care that the sauce does not clump. Try using a silicone coated whisk to make sure your pan is not ruined while mixing.
- Once thick, place the cooked meatballs into the sauce.
- Transfer the cooked noodles to a casserole dish and using tongs, place the meatballs on top. Next, pour the sauce over the meatballs so that they are covered. Finally, sprinkle grated cheese over the top and bake for 10 minutes at 355 °F.
Delicious, comforting, and perfect for those cool autumn nights! Enjoy!