From Russia with love: mouth-watering cherry cake
They are gorgeous, shiny, and red, but they can leave behind stubborn stains: yes, we speak of beloved cherries. But because they are so delicious, a few remnants are often worth the pleasure. If you're also a cherry fan, prepare to be absolutely enchanted by this extraordinary Russian cherry cake. Good news: In this recipe, the cherries are so well-hidden that there's little chance of ruining your clothes! Not sure what we mean? Read on!
- 3 and 3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 and 3/4 sticks softened butter
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 lb pitted cherries
- butter for greasing
- powdered sugar
- Mix the flour, butter, sugar, baking powder, and vanilla extract. Once mixed, add the yogurt and knead the dough until smooth and solid.
- Sprinkle a bit of flour on your work surface, and roll out your dough to create an 11 x 15 inch rectangle.
- Now cut the dough into four wide, equal strips. You can carefully mark the strips beforehand by gliding a knife over the dough, without cutting.
- In the middle of the four strips, place a row of cherries and sprinkle them with a bit of sugar.
- Now roll the dough lengthwise around the cherries to form ropes. The cherries should be completely hidden in the dough.
- Grease a springform pan with butter, and carefully place your ropes in a spiral form, working from the outside to the inside of the pan.
- Now bake in a preheated oven for 35 minutes at 350°F.
- Once finished baking, sprinkle the cherry cake with a coat of powdered sugar.
Nobody will be able to guess the mysterious filling hiding inside this delicious cake. But one thing's for sure: Everyone will be delighted by the discovery! Try this recipe using a different fruit of your choice. Enjoy!