Potato Salad Cake with hot dog wieners: A German favorite in a whole new form
Having potato salad and hot dog wieners is a particularly German tradition, especially as the evening meal on Christmas Eve. But everywhere else, it doesn't have to be Christmas for potato salad to be an option. So if you're looking for something a little bit different, this savory cake could be just the thing.
- 28 oz cooked potatoes
- 1 apple
- 3.5 oz pickles
- 1 red onion, diced
- ½ cup cream cheese
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- salt, pepper
- 4 pickles, sliced
For the border:
- 7 hot dog wieners
For the decoration:
- ½ apple
- parlsey leaves
- First, cut the potatoes into small pieces and put them in a large bowl. Next, do the same with the apple, the first lot of pickles and the red onion. Mix all the ingredients together using a large spoon. Then add the cream cheese and the mayonnaise, before finally seasoning with salt and pepper. Mix everything together once more.
- Next, place a springform pan on a plate, with the base missing. Spoon in the potato mix, smooth it out flat and decorate the top in a spiral pattern using the slices of pickle. Then place the whole thing in the fridge for two hours, before removing the ring of the springform pan.
- Now, cut the hot dog wieners in two halfway along, and then cut the two sections in half lengthways. Arrange them around the edge of the potato salad cake.
- Then cut the half of an apple in two and slice it as thinly as possible. With a little skill, you can shape them into a beautiful rose.
- To finish, arrange the parsley in a circle in the center of the cake and, as a final detail, place the apple rose on top.
How often do you get a cake designed for people without a sweet tooth? It may look unusual, but at least this recipe gives those savory lovers something to really get their teeth into!