Portuguese Custard Tarts: A tasty bitesize treat
A phenomenon sweeping across the dessert world right now is having your final course served in portions that are much too small. This is also sadly the case with the following exquisitely creamy custard tart which exhibits notes of citrus. Maybe its petite size adds to its charm and ensures that we savor every bite.
You'll need (for 6 tarts):
- 1 portion puff pastry dough
- 1 cup cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp flour, and some flour for the work surface
- zest of half a lemon
- Roll the puff pastry dough out on a floured work surface using a rolling pin. Use a large cup to cut out six portions of dough which are then placed in the molds on a muffin tray.
- Mix the cream, sugar, egg yolks, flour, and lemon zest in a pan and slowly heat the mixture until it starts to boil. Let the mixture simmer for two minutes while continuously stirring until it is thick and creamy.
- Now spoon the custard mixture into the pastry dough cut-outs and bake the tarts at 400 F for 25 minutes.
Maybe it's not such a bad thing that the tarts are so small. At the end of the day, sharing is caring. If you want to share them with more friends, simply double the amounts.