Exotic flair with pineapple flowers: the perfect cupcake decoration!
Summer or not, when it's scorching hot outside, people rarely want to sit down to a huge meal. Often we crave light, fruity treats that aren't so heavy on the stomach. And because local and tropical fruits can be found in abundance this season, satisfying your summer cravings shouldn't be a problem. The next time you go shopping, be sure to pick up a juicy pineapple! With this witty trick, you can spruce up your baked goods like a professional. Your guests will certainly be impressed when you serve these delicious cupcakes!
You will need:
For the decoration:
- 1 pineapple
For the cake:
- 1/2 cup soft butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1.5 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 cups flour
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
For the icing:
- 1 cup soft butter
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 1 and 1/3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- The first step is the hardest: peeling the pineapple. Using the knife, remove the top of the pineapple by cutting below the leaves, and then cut away the bottom. Remove the skin by setting the pineapple upright, and cutting from top to bottom.
- Cut the pineapple into thin slices and place the slices on an oven pan lined with baking paper. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes at 300°F. When finished, place the pineapple slices in a muffin pan and bake again for 20 minutes at 300°F so that they take on a upturned form. Let cool.
- For the cake batter, mix the butter, sugar and eggs together in a bowl. Add the salt, the extra bit of sugar, baking powder, flour, and finally the buttermilk. Mix well.
- Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners and distribute your batter evenly. Bake for 25 minutes at 340°F.
- Meanwhile, mix the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract. Finally, add the butter and mix until smooth.
- Apply the icing to your cupcakes by making an icing bag. You can also apply using a spoon, although the result may not be as nice. You can easily create an icing bag by cutting a small corner of a plastic baggie. After you've applied the icing, place a slice of pineapple on top of each cupcake.
You will not find these fruity blossoms in any garden, but they will certainly brighten up your plate! Enjoy!