Bring the carnival to you with this lasagna on a stick!
Snacks are an integral part of any get-together, but it can be hard to find the perfect party snack for informal gatherings, especially ones where you'll be walking and eating simultaneously. The most important thing is that you want to bring something that's tasty, creative, fun, and easy to serve and eat. Lasagna on a stick wins in each regard! You'll love this innovative recipe that will remind you of your childhood days full of carnival food, and it's particularly a big hit with kids!
You'll need (for 18 servings):
- oil for frying
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 17½ oz ground meat
- 13½ fl oz tomato sauce
- salt and pepper
- 12 lasagna sheets
- 13½ oz crème fraîche
- ½ tsp basil, chopped
- ½ tsp parsley, chopped
- 5⅓ oz shredded mozzarella
- 1 egg, beaten
- oil for frying
1. Heat some oil and sweat the onions and garlic. Add the ground meat and brown it before adding the tomato sauce. Season the mixture with plenty of salt and pepper and let simmer for about 10 minutes.
2. In a separate dish, mix the crème fraîche, basil, parsley, salt, and pepper until smooth. Set aside.
3. Spread a thin layer of the meat sauce from Step 1 on the bottom of a rectangular casserole dish. Cover with three lasagna sheets and add more of the meat sauce on top. Add two spoonfuls of the crème fraîche mixture and sprinkle a thin coating of cheese over the top. Add two more layers consisting of lasagna sheets, meat sauce, crème fraîche, and cheese. The very last layer will consist of just the lasagna sheets and the crème fraîche mixture. Bake the lasagna at 320°F for 30 minutes on the convection setting, if possible.
4. Cover the lasagna with parchment paper after baking. Place an upside down lid or a casserole dish that is slightly smaller on top of the dish containing the lasagna — the key is to find something that will fit inside the initial dish so that you can apply pressure. Depending on the size of the dish, add about three 1 L filled bottles and refrigerate for four hours.
5. Put the lasagna upside down on a cutting board and cut 18 proportional pieces.
6. Roll each lasagna piece in flour, egg, and breadcrumbs — and then again in the egg and breadcrumbs. Fly the pieces in hot oil until golden brown. Insert a wooden popsicle stick into the end, and voilà, your lasagna sticks are ready to go!
If you're looking for more innovative ideas, love food on a stick, and want to feel like you're eating state fair food all year round, then check out some of our other fun recipes: Pizza on a Stick, Bacon & Cheese Meatball Skewers, or French Fry Corn Dogs.