A taste of the keys to brighten your day: Key Lime Pie
When it comes to desserts, every region has its specialty. Whether it's New York Cheesecake, Boston Cream Cake, Mississippi Mud Cake, or a mince pie from the UK, there are sweet traditions from all over the world whose taste can transport you there with a single bite... and this next creation is no exception. As soon as the tangy, citrus flavor of this Key Lime Pie touches your taste buds, you'll be instantly transported to a sunny beach on the southernmost point of Florida...
- 12 oz graham crackers
- 2/3 cup melted butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 3/4 cups condensed milk
- 1/2 cup key lime juice
- 2 cups whipped cream
- key lime zest
- chopped hazelnuts
- Break the graham crackers into crumbs.
- In a bowl, mix the crumbs with the melted butter and mix into a dough.
- Flatten out the dough in a greased springform and press it firm to the edges. Bake at 335 °F for 15 minutes.
- Mix the egg yolks, lime zest, condensed milk, and key lime juice together and pour the mix onto the crust.
- Bake again for 15 minutes at 335 °F and then refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours.
- Spread the whipped cream on the pie and decorate with key lime zest, chopped hazelnuts, and strawberries.
If you've never been there, a visit to the Florida keys is highly recommended. But if you don't have time to make the trip, you can capture that tropical vibe right at home with this zesty pie. Enjoy a slice with a tall glass of sweet lemonade or some chilled iced tea and the summer heat will make a lot more sense... Enjoy!