Cauliflower is great for baking muffins. Non-believers will be converted by this recipe.
Blueberry, apple cinnamon or chocolate — which one is your favorite? Whatever your preference, we love to wake up to the wonderful smell of oven-fresh muffins in the morning; the sweetness of the filling seems to combine perfectly with the wholesome doughy goodness. But have you ever wondered how savory muffins would taste? Well, you're in for a treat: our Hearty Cauliflower Muffins give a mouthwatering twist to a breakfast-time classic!
You'll need (for 6 portions):
- 5 1/2 cup cauliflower
- 1 chopped clove of garlic
- salt and pepper
- 8 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup grated cheddar
- 4 slices of bacon
- Grate the cauliflower into small pieces and season with nutmeg, garlic, salt and pepper. Add two eggs and the cheese before kneading the mixture into a dough.
- Press the dough into the molds of a muffin tin. A mold is one portion. Bake the dough at 330°F for 12 minutes.
- While the dough is baking, fry both sides of the bacon until it's crispy and cut it into small cubes.
- Once the dough is baked, fill the molds with bacon and break an egg into each one. Bake the muffins once more at 285°F for six minutes.
As these tasty muffins show, it's sometimes good to experiment with different flavors in traditional recipes. You can even try this recipe with potatoes or carrots. Just be sure to make enough to share!