Seasonal produce is put to good use with this sweet watermelon cake
A delicious fruit-topped cake is the perfect treat in summertime. But a guilty conscience can easily come knocking, especially when the fruit is buried under thick layers of cream, sugar, and chocolate. With this cake, however, nobody has to feel bad. It's not completely free of creamy goodness but because the center is made of pure fruit, you can relax and enjoy!
You will need:
- 1 large watermelon
- 2 cups cream
- 1/3 cup raw sugar
- 1 lemon
- 1 kiwi
- almond flakes
- chocolate shavings
- Cut off the ends of the watermelon so that it can stand on both sides. Remove the rest of the rind, but leave the melon in one piece.
- Put the cream and sugar into a bowl, and then add the zest of one lemon. Now beat until thick and creamy.
- Using a frosting knife or spatula, cover the watermelon completely with the cream topping.
- Now cut the kiwi and strawberries into slices and adorn your cake in any way you see fit! Add the raspberries and blueberries to complete your colorful arrangement.
- Finally, sprinkle the edges of the watermelon cake with almond flakes, and add the chocolate shavings on top. Now serve and enjoy!
With this cake, feel free to help yourself to seconds, or even thirds! Just a pity that the lovely fruit decoration disappears so quickly. Luckily, a second watermelon cake is easy to make!