Go large with the Chocolate Hazelnut and Caramel Cake
Do you like chocolate? Hazelnuts? What about caramel? If you're a fan of all three, then we have good news! With three layers of sponge and a super trio of flavors, our Chocolate Hazelnut and Caramel Cake really knocks it out of the park. Throw some cream and waffles into the mix and get ready for one of our most luxurious desserts yet.
For the sponge mix:
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking powder
For the mascarpone cream:
- 17.6 oz mascarpone
- 11 oz whipped cream
- 1 tsp vanilla flavoring
For the caramel sauce:
- 1 cup sugar
- 3.5 oz butter
- 1.7 fl oz cream
- 3.4 fl oz hazelnut syrup
- 3 waffles
- 5.3 oz chopped hazelnuts
- 12 candy bars
For the decoration:
- 3 candy bars with hazelnuts and caramel
- candy bar
- a few whole hazelnuts
- For the sponge mix, beat the eggs and sugar together until they are foamy using an electric whisk. Then add the flour, cornstarch and baking powder.
- Cover the bottom of a small springform pan with waffles that have been cut to fit. You can use the ring of the pan to help you. Add the sponge mix on top and bake for 20 minutes at 375°F.
- Turn out the cooled cake on to a large plate, so that the layer of waffles is on the top. Slice it horizontally into three layers of equal thickness. Put the ring of the springform pan back round the bottom layer of the cake.
- Fold the cream and the vanilla flavoring into the mascarpone. Then spread a third of the cream mixture over the bottom layer of the cake.
- For the caramel sauce, let the sugar completely caramelize in a pan over a medium heat, before adding the butter a little at a time. Then add the cream and let the mixture come to the boil. To finish, stir in the the hazelnut syrup and then chill the sauce in the refrigerator. Once it has cooled, pour half of it on top of the cream and cake. The caramel sauce shouldn't run completely to the edge of the cake, there should be a ring of cream left around it.
- Lay the next layer of the cake on top of the caramel sauce, then cover that with the second third of the cream and pour on the second half of the caramel sauce in the same way. To finish, place the last layer of the cake with the waffles on top. Then leave the whole thing in the fridge for two hours.
- Remove the ring of the springform pan and spread the final third of the cream mix around the outside of the cake. Garnish the lower half with chopped hazelnuts. Melt the 12 candy bars in a water bath and then pour them over the waffles. Let some of the chocolate pour over the edges. Finally, decorate the top of the cake however you like with the candy bars with hazelnut and caramel, the whole hazelnuts, and any leftover candy bars.
Whatever the occasion — a child's birthday party, a dinner party or making a cake for a friend — making something this extravagant will really show them that you gave all you got. And when you taste that first slice, you'll know it was worth it.