Chocolate & Banana Rolls — a dessert with a trick up its sleeve
When it comes to making desserts, sponge is a real multi-talent. Whether it's layer cakes, Swiss rolls or cute little cupcakes, sponge can do it all. For this recipe, we've used this versatile batter to create delicious filled rolls with an eye-catching design. You're sure to fall in love with the results...
You'll need (for 8 rolls):
For the sponge batter:
- 7 egg whites
- 2.6 oz sugar
- 7 egg yolks
- 1 pinch salt
- 7 oz flour
- 1 oz cocoa powder
For the cream filling:
- 8.8 oz soft butter
- 8.8 oz icing sugar
You'll also need:
- Beat the egg whites using an electric whisk until they're foamy and add 2.5 oz of sugar. Now continue to beat the egg whites until they're stiff.
- Next, beat the egg yolks with salt and the other half of the sugar until they're foamy. The mixture should double in size.
- Fold the beaten egg whites into the eggs yolks before adding the flour and mixing. Split the sponge mixture into two bowls and add the cocoa powder to one of the bowls.
- Fill a piping bag with the dark mix and draw a grid-like pattern on some baking parchment on a baking tray. Now spoon the light batter onto the grid and carefully spread it out. Bake the whole thing in a preheated oven at 375°F for nine minutes with the top and bottom heat on.
- Once baked, place the still warm sponge onto a clean dishcloth and roll it up. Just make sure it doesn't tear!
- Roll out the cooled sponge from the dishcloth and cut it into eight equally-sized rectangles.
- To prepare the cream filling, mix the butter with the icing sugar using an electric whisk. Fill a piping bag with the cream mixture and pipe it onto the sponge rectangles. Keep about a third of the cream back for decoration. Cut the banana in half and cut it into four lengthways. Place a piece of banana onto the cream and roll the sponge up. To finish, pipe the remaining cream on top of the rolls and decorate with some chocolate chips.
For a lighter version of this tasty snack, use cream cheese instead of butter for the filling. You can also create different designs with the dark batter — let your imagination run wild!