Our chocolate cupcake recipe with a banana filling really brings it to the table
You may remember our delicious Chocolate Mole Cake recipe from earlier this year — a heavenly combo of moist chocolate sponge, bananas, and cream. In fact, this tasty dessert proved to be so popular on Scrumdiddlyumptious that we're bringing it back in cupcake form. There should be enough to go round for all the family too...
You'll need (for six cupcakes):
For the dough:
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1.4 fl oz milk
- 1.7 fl oz vegetable oil (tasteless)
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup cocoa
- ⅘ cup flour
- 1 pinch of salt
For the filling:
- ½ cup cream
- 1 tsp icing sugar
- 1 banana
- First, heat the oven to 360°F with the top and bottom heat on.
- To make the dough, beat the egg with the sugar until the mix is foamy. Then stir in the milk and oil. Next, mix in the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt one after the other. Mix everything into a dough.
- Next, grease the molds in the cupcake tray and place paper liners inside them. Spoon the the dough mix into the molds in equal amounts. Bake the cupcakes for about 20 minutes and leave them to cool.
- Now hollow out the cupcakes using a tablespoon so that they can filled at a later stage. You should take a large spoonful from each one. The cake you've removed should be spooned into a separate bowl and will be used later as decoration.
- It's now time to make the filling. First, cut the banana into thin slices. Layer three banana slices into each cupcake. Then whip the cream with the icing sugar until it's stiff.
- To finish, spoon a generous amount of the cream into the cupcakes and sprinkle the broken-up cake from before over them. Refrigerate your delicious cupcakes before serving.
The great thing about these cupcakes is that they're quick and easy to make. But beware: they'll get gobbled up just as quickly, too!