Only a piece of bread? Hardly! A cheese-filled surprise!
They say that good things come in small packages and in this case, when the package is a buttery, flaky, croissant-like pastry, I'm already sold! But since this is the season of indulgence, it doesn't stop there. Inside this baked treasure is a gooey, warm surprise that will liven up even the least festive of parties.
You will need:
- 1 sheet puff pastry dough
- 1 wheel of camembert
- oil for frying
- 2.5 oz pancetta
- 2 oz diced onion
- 1 boiled potato in slices
- 1 egg yolk
- pinch of poppy seeds
- Cut the puff pastry dough in a circle, cut the camembert through the middle in two equal halves — top and bottom — and place one half with the cut side up in the middle of the dough sheet.
- Cut the dough towards the cheese so that you have eight equal tabs around the cheese. Place a cup on the edge of the tab, tracing the rim of the cup so that each tab has a rounded edge. The dough should now have the shape of a daisy.
- Heat a small amount of oil in a pan and brown the pancetta, followed by the diced onion.
- Place the pancetta on the cheese, followed by the potato slices, and finally, the top half of the camembert wheel. Then fold each "petal" of the dough so that one overlaps the other.
- Brush the dough with egg yolk and sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake at 355°F for 25 minutes.
If you're preparing more than one of these golden beauties, feel free to create your own combination of fillings. Thin slices of garlic, baby spinach, cranberry jam and fresh thyme is another timeless combination you might want to consider for any vegetarian guests. Cheer this good shouldn't be missed by anyone!