A creative spin on the classic meatball leaves every guest happy
When the sun is shining bright and everyone is sweating, many people choose to barbecue in the garden or on the balcony, perhaps raising the heat level even more! Well, it can certainly be worth it. It only takes a minute for the air to be filled with that irresistible aroma coming from the grill. But at some point, chicken, sausage, and even the good old steak can get a bit boring. A little variety is always good and luckily, in a few moments you'll have a brand new recipe ready to go!
For 4 delicious stuffed onions you'll need:
- 4 large onions
- 5 mushrooms, diced
- 3 tbsp. chopped parsley
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tsp ketchup
- 3 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp cane sugar
- 3 tbsp BBQ sauce
- 3 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 20 slices bacon
- Split each onion down the middle and remove the inner layers, setting the 2 outermost layers to the side. Do this four times so that you have 8 outermost layer sections to work with later.
- Dice the rest of the onions and the mushrooms. Mix these two ingredients, along with all the others (except for the bacon) into the ground beef.
- Now form your ground beef mixture into four equal-sized balls.
- Gently place each meatball into two of the outermost onion layers, so that you form a stuffed onion.
- Finally, cover in a thick layer of bacon by wrapping bacon slices around each onion. Toothpicks can help make this process easier!
- Now the stuffed onions are ready to be grilled, but be sure not to place them directly over the charcoal. Feel free to brush them with a little BBQ sauce! Grill the onions for about 40 minutes and just before serving, place them directly over the charcoal to ensure the bacon is extra crispy!
Shake up your next summer BBQ by serving these ingenious stuffed onions! Your guests will certainly be impressed. Enjoy!